At AUUC, we have a special team of trained volunteers, appointed by the Minister, who are here to assist him provide spiritual support to Members and friends through a Ministry of Presence. These Pastoral Care Team members serve in the spirit of the first UU principle, “to affirm and promote the inherent worth and dignity of every person.” They work to extend a ministry of listening, hope, and understanding while honoring confidentiality.
Pastoral Care Team members work with Rev. Linda Olson Peebles to offer personal spiritual support to all members and friends of AUUC in the following ways:
- Provide outreach following any sharing during worship services or community events;
- Visit the ill at home, in the hospital, or in a nursing home;
- Support those going through a life crisis or transition;
- Comfort the bereaved;
- Maintain contact with those unable to attend church due to illness or disability;
- Support friends or family involved in care giving;
- Be available for conversation and consultation;
- Sponsor workshops on relevant topics, such as grief or crisis;
- Convey relevant community resource information to Members and friends in need.
Confidential messages for On-Call Team member can be received by:
- Church staff during office hours (703-503-4579);
- Voicemail box #6 of church office phone between office hours (703-503-4579). Voicemail is checked daily.
POINT OF CONTACT:
To ensure confidentiality, meetings are for Team members only.
EVENTS AND ONGOING ACTIVITIES:
The Team hosts a training each year for pastoral care teams from other UU churches around the region.
IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS (RESOURCES & REFERENCES):
- Pastoral Caregiving Primer
- UUA blog post about pastoral care training in Mexico provided by 2 members of the Accotink Pastoral Care Team. http://www.uua.org/international/blog/a-different-kind-social-justice-%E2%80%93-pastoral-care-accotink-ajijic
- Circle of Caring
- Caring Carders