We have reaffirmed our commitment to being a Welcoming Congregation certified by the Unitarian Universalist Association. Our work does not end here as we need to renew our welcoming status yearly. With your continuing support, True Accotink Colors will keep on working to maintain our welcoming status!
“But I see your true colors shining through
I see your true colors and that’s why I love you
so don’t be afraid to let them show, your true colors
true colors are beautiful like a rainbow”
~Cindi Lauper, “True Colors”
We recognize the inherent worth and dignity of every person, and we support the inclusion of individuals who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning, or have other marginalized sexualities or gender identities (LGBTQ+). No matter who you love, you are wanted and welcome here in all aspects of this religious community.
Part of the Social Justice Committee, True Accotink Colors (TAC) is a group open to everyone who is interested in LGBTQ+ rights and advocacy. TAC meets regularly, usually once a month. To learn more or to attend an upcoming meeting, please email [email protected] for more information. You can also follow TAC on Facebook.
Goals & Mission
Our current goals include:
- Creating a welcoming environment for all who identify as LGBTQ+ at our services, programming, and social events
- Supporting ongoing LGBTQ+ equality efforts through awareness, advocacy, and financial gifts
- Providing an avenue to address any LGBTQ+ needs or concerns in the church
- Fostering understanding and promoting life-long education about diversity within the congregation
- Participating in local community events such as pride festivals
- Acting as a social group within the larger congregation
- Renewing AUUC’s status as an officially recognized welcoming congregation
Supporting Organizations in Our Community
Part of our mission is to support LGBTQ+-focused organizations. During 2019-2020, we supported Equality Virginia’s advocacy efforts. You can read about their many legislative victories in 2020, including 16 pro-equality bills that passed the Virginia General Assembly.
Got a Question?
No one can ever speak for an entire demographic group, but TAC might be able to help answer some questions you might have, such as “How do I ask about someone’s preferred pronouns?” or “There are so many pride flags now. What do they all represent?” You can submit your question anonymously using this form: https://tinyurl.com/QuestionForTAC.