January 12 – 19, 2020
AUUC will again support the Bailey’s Crossroads Community Shelter run by New Hope Housing and host our 9th annual hypothermia shelter. Everyone is invited to participate! This year, we expect to host at least 30 guests each evening, with help from Bailey’s staff. In addition to providing a warm place to sleep, we will serve dinner each night at ~6:30.
To hold this event, we have many volunteer roles to fill:
- Set-up crew each evening to ensure the building is ready to receive our guests
- Clean-up crew each morning to ensure the building is ready for our renters
- People to prepare meal items which need to be at AUUC by 5:00 PM on the day they are being served.
- People to arrange/serve the food and clean the kitchen after the meal.
SIGN UP HERE for these opportunities. If you need assistance volunteering or would like more information, please contact Social Justice Chairperson, Ed K ([email protected]).
This is a family-friendly event and older children (~10) are welcome to participate in the shelter under parental supervision. In addition, the Children’s Spiritual Development Committee will sponsor the first night (Sunday, January 12) of the shelter to provide involvement for our younger children (sign-up for this night is coming soon).
Even if you don’t have time to participate in one of the above capacities, you are invited to just stop by the church to meet and talk with our guests… they will appreciate it, and you will enjoy it.
One of our 7 Principles is to respect “the inherent worth and dignity of every person,” and together, AUUC will help a lot of people again this year.
DONATE PERSONAL CARE ITEMS
We will again collect personal care items and other small items to make our guests’ lives a little bit easier. Donations can be placed in the box in the gallery during the month of January. Our guests always appreciate your generosity! Thanks so much for your support!
THIS YEAR WE ARE COLLECTING WINTER COATS & JACKETS
These items are always popular:
- Socks (Adult sizes)
- Shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc. (Hotel freebies or sample sizes are great!)
- Toothpaste and toothbrushes
- Shaving Cream and safety razors
- Small pads of paper and pens
- Small flashlights with batteries
- Lip Balm
- Gallon-Size Ziploc bags
- Feminine hygiene products
- Underwear/T-shirts/Long Underwear (Adult sizes)
- Hats, gloves, and scarves (Adult sizes)
- Shower Shoes (Adult sizes)
- Hand Warmers
- Hand Sanitizer
- Ear plugs
- Shoe cushioning inserts
- New or gently used books/recent magazines